The Office of the Public Advocate's has a role in the area of advocacy.
· Responding to requests for assistance and support for persons with a mental incapacity and their carers at both individual and systems levels.
· To investigate community complaints or concerns that a person with a mental incapacity may be at risk of abuse, neglect or exploitation.
· To identify and promote the interests of people with a mental incapacity to government and in forums and enquiries concerned with the development and implementation of public policy.
· To speak for and negotiate on behalf of mentally incapacitated persons.
· To support and promote the interests of carers of people with a mental incapacity.
· To make recommendations to the Minister for legislative and operational change.
The role is generally systemic in nature rather than individual.