The South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) make legal orders ...

There are a few things:

  • a decision that needs to be made now and no one who can make the decision informally
  • medical evidence that the person is not able to make the decision themselves.

You can apply for a Guardianship Order or Administration Order using the online application form on the SACAT website.

There is a medical and psychological report that can be downloaded, printed off and completed by the person's doctor.

Applying to SACAT fact sheet  (PDF, 887.0 KB)

Informal arrangements fact sheet (PDF, 620.9 KB)

SACAT can make interim (or urgent) orders if there is significant risk to the person or others.

You can apply for urgent orders using the online form on the SACAT website.

After you have submitted your application, you will need to call SACAT with the tracking / lodgement number and ask them for an urgent hearing.

If SACAT is satisfied there is significant risk to the person or others, they will consider hearing the matter urgently.

If there are concerns regarding the safety of anyone attending the hearing, SACAT can provide security.

Make sure you notify SACAT ahead of the hearing.


SACAT will not put orders in place 'just in case'.

There must be decisions to make now.