If a person is over 18 years old and is unable to make a particular decision for themselves, they may need help from someone else.

If there is no Enduring Power of Attorney, Advance Care Directive, or Guardianship Order in place, appointing a decision-maker, close family and friends may be able to make some decisions.

Being a decision-maker in this way is called an “informal arrangement”.

Types of decisions

Under informal arrangements, a family member, carer, or close friend could make decisions about:

  • community support
  • accommodation
  • welfare services
  • ACAT assessments
  • banking or paying bills
  • making Centrelink arrangements
  • acting as a nominee for an NDIS plan
  • other personal affairs.
Health decisions are made by a Person Responsible under the Consent Act.

When to apply to SACAT

An application to the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) may be necessary if:

  • There is no family member, carer, or close friend, who is willing and able to assist with decision-making.
  • The person does not agree with the decisions being made for them.
  • There is conflict between the informal decision-makers.
  • There are legal and financial decisions to be made where formal authority is required.

Related information

Informal Arrangements fact sheet (PDF, 620.9 KB)

Informal Arrangements (Easy Read) (PDF, 5.7 MB)