The Information Service at the Office of the Public Advocate (OPA) provides information to the general public, service providers, and professionals in relevant fields.
We respond to more than 3,000 requests a year for information.
The Information Service provides information about:
- Advance Care Directives (ACD)
- Enduring Powers of Attorney (EPA)
- Guardianship Orders
- Administration Orders
- the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) and their processes
- consent to medical treatment
- informal arrangements.
The Information Service does not function as a reporting body or give legal advice.
Types of information we provide
We answer questions about things like:
- the rights of people who are unable to make decisions for themselves
- caring for people who are unable to make decisions for themselves
- applications to the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) for administration and guardianship orders
- what documents you can make, in case you are unable to make your own decisions in the future
- being a guardian of an adult
- medical and dental treatment for patients who cannot give consent
- refusal of medical treatment.